Cheese and Marmite Scones


Many thanks to the Marmite Facebook page for pointing out these brilliant little flavour bombs from Lesley Waters Recipe

This took very little effort and the results were amazing. I like a cheese scone as much as the next man but the addition of the Marmite added a delicious savoury twang, yessss, twang, that's the word I'm looking for.
If you're wondering what that weird marbled stuff is it's Irish Porter Cheese 

This makes around 10 or so scones depending upon the size of your cutter.

Now I just need to work out how to keep them upright in the oven, Lisa reckons flouring the cutter will work

Ingredients

  • 140g self-raising flour
  • 140g wholemeal flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 50g cold butter , cut into small cubes
  • 85g mature cheddar , grated
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp Marmite
  • 2 tbsp Greek or natural yogurt
  • 3 tbsp milk , plus extra to glaze 
 
 
 
Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Mix the flours and baking powder in a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt, if you like. Add the butter and rub with your fingertips until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs (or use a food processor). Stir in ½ of the cheese and make a well in the centre.

Whisk the remaining ingredients together and pour into the well. With a cutlery knife, bring the mixture together to make a soft, but not sticky dough. Add a little more milk if the dough is too dry.

Turn onto a floured surface, then roll out to about 2cm thick. Stamp out 4 scones using a round cutter, then gather the trimmings and repeat until all the dough has been used. Put on a baking sheet, brush with milk and scatter over remaining cheese. Bake for 10-12 mins until golden. Cool on a wire rack. 

Server with whatever you like, although beer does go especially well 

Comments

  1. Wow. They sound just amazing, esp if there's only a tbsp of marmite in there ;-) Seriously, I need to just get around this marmite thing; I bet it's incredible with the cheddar, too. Beautiful presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how seeing a recipe for cheese scones with marmite has made me think about what other flavouring I could add instead. Hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can almost taste that 'twang' lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cheese, I love Marmite, and I love scones, so these cannot be anything other than amazing. Weirdly I saw a recipe for cheese and Marmite scones somewhere else this week but I've forgotten where, so thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment